Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Taking Your Game to Another Level

Have you ever stopped to really think about how powerful our minds are? I started to better understand the control my own thoughts had over me a few years ago after becoming part of a local toastmasters group. The feedback and positive energy I received there started to have a profound effect on my way of thinking. Is that voice inside you a coach or a critic? Sometimes I think we can be our own worst enemies when it comes to reaching our personal and professional goals.

What if we could apply the concepts of sports psychology to our work life? Coaches tell players to focus their thoughts on what they should be doing rather than thinking about avoiding what they should not do. For example, a golfer should think about following through on her swing rather than avoiding the sand trap. I’m an avid runner and tell myself to land on the balls of my feet rather than saying, don’t land heels first. This is made easier with my Newton running shoes developed right here in Boulder http://www.newtonrunning.com/. While approaching the stage to make a presentation, think about smiling hand having good posture rather than trying not to trip. If you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.

If you want to change your outcome, start to gain awareness of your thoughts. Change your thoughts to coach rather than criticize yourself. Focus on your talents and abilities. Star athletes apply this to their game. How might you express yourself in an interview, network more effectively or be a better boss by changing the way you think?
Let’s see your “A” game!

No comments:

Post a Comment