Tuesday, October 6, 2009


Candidly Speaking

Wouldn’t all of our lives be easier if we could muster up a bit more candor in our relationships? We get annoyed when our phone call goes unreturned in a timely manner, when we receive bad customer service, when our boss doesn’t follow through or when mom gives you too much “advice”. And the list goes on. Try injecting some candor to defuse unwelcome drama.

In the workplace, open communication is critical if you want to be a good leader, manager, employee or team member. We have to start by building trust and credibility.

For managers, ask yourself:
· Do I make sure my employees know how their jobs are tied to the company’s overall strategy?
· Do I make a point of keeping them informed on all news and changes affecting the company and their jobs as soon as possible?
· Do I get back to them immediately when they’re waiting for a decision from me that affects their lives?
· Do all my actions reflect and support the company’s values and do I keep my promises?
· Do I speak positively about them to their coworkers?
· Do I show that I appreciate them and show that I care about their personal and professional development?

For employees:
· Do I take on new projects with enthusiasm and make a point of keeping my boss informed about my progress?
· Do I show my interest in and desire to support the goals of the company?
· Do I speak positively about employees and clients of the organization?
· Do my actions show I am committed to my own development and the development of others on my team?
· Do all my actions reflect and support the company’s values and do I keep my promises?
· Do I put in the time and effort that the organization expects?

Think about using these lists as a starting point to create agreements within your professional relationships. Tell people you work with what you expect and ask what they expect from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment